Octapod is seeking to appoint a new Executive Manager to lead the organisation into its next phase.
Octapod believes that arts and culture are critical to the social and economic health of our local community. Our vision is of a diverse and thriving arts and cultural sector across the Lower Hunter and our mission is to provide leadership and cultural development initiatives to enhance the capacity of the region’s existing and emerging creative communities.
As a passionate, proactive and participatory not-for-profit, we exist for the purpose of stimulating arts and cultural development, increasing accessibility and inclusion for all, and improving sector capacity and sustainability. One of our most proud achievements is the production of This Is Not Art, a celebratory arts festival which brings national audiences to our creative city annually.
In focusing on the future, the Greater Newcastle Metropolitan Plan 2036 offers a landscape of significant economic growth and social change for the community, and to ensure that we are able to continue to deliver these life-changing services we are currently seeking to appoint an Executive Manager to the helm of our organisation.
Reporting directly to the Board, this newly created role assumes overall responsibility for the organisation, with the core purpose of ensuring achievement of our strategic objectives by leading the development and execution of Octapod’s operational plans.
More specifically, this includes:
- Leading and guiding the Board through strategic planning;
- Building the organisation’s profile and membership base;
- Securing increased funding, maximising return on investment, and enhancing the commercial sustainability of the organisation;
- Increasing engagement with the community and advocating for the organisation amongst business, government and other key stakeholders; and
- Delivering projects, programs and services both directly and through the management of employees and volunteers.
Initially this role will be available on a fixed term part time basis, equivalent to 30 hours per month with specific hours and location of work each week flexible. Looking ahead, we are planning for a future that positions Octapod as a passionate advocate for arts and culture across the Lower Hunter and so over time, we anticipate the role dimensions growing as the team evolves.
As a champion of a humanistic approach to service delivery, your altruistic nature will be supported by a commercial cleverness that is not to be underestimated. You will personify the organisation’s values and in speaking with you, we will feel inspired and energised.
We are very open-minded as to the specific background and experience that you bring to the role and believe that success will rely on your ability to play to your strengths, leverage your network of relationships, and activate tangible outcomes by working smarter not harder.
And so in whichever way, shape or form your strengths appear, we would suggest it is likely they will encompass some or all of the following transferrable attributes:
- An existing appreciation for and connection to the arts and cultural sector;
- A relevant local network highlighted by influential relationships;
- Demonstrated experience in a capacity-building or business-enabling role;
- The unique ability to shift seamlessly from strategic visionary to pragmatic operationalist;
- An understanding of Board accountability and commercialisation of service delivery; and
- An unrivalled talent for achieving a lot with a little.
Motivated by the opportunity to take ownership of the success of Octapod and fuelled by a passion for making a meaningful impact in our community, you will share with us a genuine commitment to playing your part as an innovative leader in the journey that our team is embarking on.
We recommend applying at your earliest convenience by sending a copy of your resume and cover letter to Emily Bowen via email@example.com. To receive a copy of the Information Pack please contact Emily on 0422 259 370 or at the same email address quoting reference 2303 in the subject line.