Cadi McCarthy & Company, first established in 2002, is a professional dance theatre company, based in Canberra and Newcastle. The company’s mission is to create professional dance theatre productions, through narratives that incorporate dance, dialogue, humour and are based in real life situations that are relevant and accessible to the general public.
The company aims to:
- Provide paid creative and performance opportunities to professional dance artists and emerging artists through performances in Newcastle and Canberra.
- Build a professional contemporary dance sector in Newcastle, and create a hub for emerging artists, young people and professional practitioners to create and develop as artists in Newcastle and Canberra.
- Foster an appreciative audience for dance theatre work and build audience capacity in both Canberra and the Hunter through performances, community development and creative opportunities for the general public.
- Expose young people to the power of contemporary dance practice, through intensive week long creative processes that replicate the professional industry, choreographic developments and public performances.
- Engage Australian dance and arts professionals to inspire, mentor and work with young dancers (14-25) to develop performance skills, increase confidence and engage the creative energy of young people and audiences alike exposing them to the power of contemporary dance theatre.